Measles alert for Victoria after Qantas Bali flight to Sydney and Melbourne

VICTORIA’S Health Department has issued a health alert after a Qantas passenger, who travelled from Bali to Melbourne via Sydney, was hospitalised with measles.

A MAN who felt ill after flying from Bali to Melbourne via Sydney has been diagnosed with measles, opening the potential for scores of people to have the disease.

A passenger on an international flight from Bali to Sydney, who then travelled on to Melbourne on March 10, has been hospitalised with measles, sparking a health alert.

The man was on Qantas flight QF44 from Denpasar to Sydney. He then travelled on to Melbourne on QF415, which landed at Melbourne Airport at 10:35am.

He got sick after the flight and was hospitalised almost a week later following the confirmation of his diagnosis.

A statement from the Victorian Health Department said the man may have been infectious on both of those flights and when he visited the Lentil as Anything restaurant in Abbotsford that afternoon.

Measles usually begins three to seven days after the first symptoms and is highly infectious.

It can be especially serious for young children and adults, with potentially serious complications such as pneumonia.

“We are working with airline officials to identify and contact passengers who shared both the international flight into Sydney and the domestic flight into Melbourne,” Dr Finn Romanes from Health Department said.

“People who were at Melbourne Airport on Saturday March 10, particularly around the domestic baggage collection area, who develop illness from now until Wednesday April 4 should alert their doctor or hospital emergency department.”

It is the third measles alert this month alone, with other cases traced to a British backpacker and an Australian man who had been in Kuala Lumpur.

Measles is now uncommon in Australia because of the widespread use of the measles vaccine, but it is often brought into the country by overseas travellers. – abc.net.au

Victoria’s health department has issued a warning for travellers after the man flew from Denpasar on flight QF44, arriving in Sydney on March 10 at 6.25am before getting on flight QF415 to Tullamarine, arriving at 10:35am.

The man took two Qantas flights: QF44 from Bali to Sydney and QF415 to Melbourne. Picture: iStock

The man took two Qantas flights: QF44 from Bali to Sydney and QF415 to Melbourne. Picture: iStockSource:istock

“We are working with airline officials to identify and contact passengers who shared both the international flight into Sydney and the domestic flight into Melbourne,” Public Health Physician Dr Finn Romanes said, adding there were also concerns for people who went to Lentil as Anything at the Abbotsford Convent the same day.

“People who were at Melbourne Airport on Saturday March 10, particularly around the domestic baggage collection area, who develop illness from now until Wednesday April 4 should alert their doctor or hospital emergency department.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *